Sunday 9 March 2014

East Surrey Hardriders (Just not so hard as last year)

This event has two particular features, one, at a tad under 30 miles its a bit longer than one would choose. Secondly about halfway round there is a dispiriting climb on a grotty road at Rusper. Apart from that it's great. Maybe. In truth it is a Sporting Course but not quite as sporting as the SCA Hardriders last week or that toad of a course at Bletchingly we have to look forward to in a couple of weeks.

Well this year mother nature gave, and mother nature taketh away. Due to the beating the Flanchford Bridge had enjoyed over the winter it was closed to traffic. The result, the course was trimmed to 27.1 miles (hooray) missing out a crappy lumpy section to Reigate Heath (hooray) and as Dave Warne noted (I think getting his own back for last week) making the parcour one for Bashers (boooo!)

Four Ports plus our adopted Port, Dave Churchill lined up for this brute. slightly crisp to begin with it turned into a lovely morning for racing. Bash and Paul King were early starters. The Daves and me towards the back end.  Coming out of Beare Green I was forced to pick my way through a long tailback of traffic. On this single carriageway section with double unbroken lines, a horse box had stopped halfway up the hill. Thanks guys. While last week I lost a bit of heart this time I was able get back into it and crack on.  After last weeks mishaps, I felt I was going a lot better this time out, though still some way short of where I would want to be. But those with the strength to take advantage came away with some creditable times for March. In order of appearance

Bash - 1.10.42
Paul - 1.14.01 ( I will leave it to Mr King to explain his views on this time.)
Dave C - 1.07.55
Dave W - 1.09.44
Andy - 1.21.55

The Daves' and Ian's times were v impressive on a day when one sees that the winning time by Liam Maybank was 1.01.18

I am not racing next weekend, returning to the fray on 23rd with the SCCU Bletchingly event.

No comments:

Post a Comment