Monday 21 July 2014

Brighton Excelsior 10 and 25 - Testing Weekend

While my club mates sought fast times on fast courses I stuck with the G courses this weekend. To be honest it would have probably been quicker getting over to Bentley for the H25/8 than getting down to Steyning. I have heard Brighton described as London on Sea, and to be honest in the world of Time Trialling it comes pretty damn close to being true. Both the G10/97 and G25/93 turn just outside Shoreham but come under 'London South.' Anyway my original motivation was to support the 10 on Saturday because it was being run by an old friend, James Stone. Having entered the 10 it felt rude not to do the 25 as well.

Neither course has a reputation for being fast. The 10 has a sub 20 minute record so is actually pretty quick, starting outside Steyning on the A283 over a couple of roundabouts to Shoreham and back. It has a nifty little gift start, though as the rain was tipping down I didn't make the best use of it I could have. Came away happy enough with my 24.40. The real feature of this event was that it included a competition for Juniors where some serious upcoming talent. 16 year old Zac Coran-Haines won the Junior Competition with a 22, Amy Smith another 16 year old one the girls version with a 24.

I think Conall Yates took the overall with a 20.35 but is was pretty close.

Back on Sunday for the G25/93 and to be honest was feeling a little jaded. This kicks off with a loop through Partridge Green onto the A24, a left hander at the Washington Roundabout (the graveyard of may TT dreams) out to Shoreham and back. The opening is on a lumpy twisty road with a iffy surface and I found myself labouring through the first 10 miles in around 27 minutes. By the time I was through the Washington Roundabout and at 15 miles 40mins had passed. In the end in dry conditions  I kicked myself up the backside and did the final 10 miles quicker than I had gone on Saturday to come away with an only slightly underwhelming 1.04.17

With the OPCC track day looming I had to scuttle away before the final results were in but full marks to BECC for running a couple of great events with a decent buffet of cake and rolls at the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment